Thursday, July 19, 2012

Supplement Recommendations for Arthritis

These are the recommendations that I have come across. As you can see I am currently using some of them and I can speak from experience that they do make a huge difference. I know some of the books say it won't help for pain or that you may not notice a difference but for me it does. If I stop using any one of the ones that I use for more then a week I start suffering a lot of pain and start wondering why it hurts so much more, then I realize that I haven't been using the supplements for awhile and then I start using them again, if it hasn't been to long that I have been off of them I start noticing a change within a week. If I have been off of them for a month or more then it takes almost two months before I notice a change.
This may be different for you though.

Glucosamine            Dosage: 500 mg glucosamine sulfate 3 times a day.
                                 Comments: Take with food. Not appropriate for diabetics.

Chondroitin              Dosage: 400 mg chondroitin sulfate 3 times a day.
                                  Comments: Often sold in combination with glucosamine.

Niacinamide             Dosage: 1,000 mg 3 times a day.
                                  Comments: High doses can cause liver damage and other serious side effects;     physician monitoring is necessary during treatment.

Cayenne Cream       Dosage: Apply topical cream to effected joints several times a day.
                                  Comments: Standardized to contain 0.025% - 0.075% capsaicin.

Boswellia                 Dosage: 1 pill 3 times a day.
                                  Comments: Each pill standardized to have 150 mg boswellic acid.

Sea Cucumber         Dosage: 1,000 mg a day.
                                 Comments: Also known as beche-de-mer.

SAM                         Dosage: 400 mg twice a day for 2 weeks, then 200 mg twice a day as a maintenance dose.
                                 Comments: May have mild gastrointestinal side effects. Should not be taken by people with manic-depressive illness.

Note: Consider taking supplements in just bold first; those in bold italics may also be beneficial. Some dosages may be supplied by supplements you are already taking see about recommendations.

About Recommendations

Specific Dosage Suggestions that I listed above, have list, and may list in the future. These numbers are the total daily amount of a particular nutrient or herb you'll need to treat arthritis. In particular terms, this means you may have to adjust the numbers to factor in the amount of these same supplements you may already be getting in your daily multivitamin or individual supplements you're using for other health reasons.

For example if I've suggested taking 400 IU of Vitamin E a day for cancer prevention (way off the topic here). If your daily multivitamin supplies 400 IU of Vitamin E you won't need to the recommendation. supplement.

The dosages I mention in this blog are meant to be informative, but as we all know each person is different. Check with your doctor about your own case and the appropriate dose for you. Always read the label and never exceed the recommended dosage for a supplement, even though you may be treating several ailments.

And finally: Though I make every effort to include widely available dosages, the strengths of supplement products vary greatly. Qualified people such as health professionals, pharmacists, and health-store staff can help you determine an equivalent dose.

No comments:

Post a Comment